Buy the book da 'votions from da 'hood by clicking HERE

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thwap

Thwap!

We all heard it and knew what it meant.

A couple people glanced around to see who would respond but she and I already had sufficient adrenaline in us. We had jumped up from our chairs and were now heading toward the thwap.

Prayer meeting would have to wait.

As we turned on the lights in the storage room we could see the rat in the trap.

"It's still alive!" she yelled as the rat and trap dragged themselves across the carpet. "Give me a pipe."

A little scared (of her, not the rat) I handed over an old piece of pipe that was by the door. She took it and immediately began bludgeoning the creature.

It tried to escape but it was no match to her passion. The blood-stained wall and the new markings on the carpet now warned future predators of her victory.

Two latex gloves and one plastic bag later, I disposed of the corpse while she reset the trap.

Prayer meeting resumed.

When I'm trying to exterminate things that make my life miserable, like my issues and ego and habits and insecurities (read: sin) I want someone like this woman on the journey with me.

I need people to pray with me. But once in a while when the time is right, I need them to also courageously march into the dark rooms inside me where I store my old stuff, turn on some light, and take a blunt object to the problem.

Though it's messy and uncomfortable, it's important.

Because I remember years ago the letter from my pastor that contained the direct correction I needed. And I remember the annoyingly persistent accountability from a fellow disciple during a time of rapid personal growth. And I remember the counselor finally saying, "Just get over it." Those things helped free me and helped me grow more than closing our eyes and praying harder would have.

Each of those people had a choice. They could have let fear of damaging our relationships get in the way of what needed to be done and glanced around hoping for someone else to do the job. But they knew that out of relationships based on solid faith, prayer, and mutual respect come opportunities to engage in passionate, scary, dangerous, painful conflict that can ultimately lead to a more whole self.

And though our relationship may get a little stained and bloodied at first, I have to trust that His grace will sustain us and open the possibility for even deeper friendship as a result.

It's then that we are truly free to resume our prayers before our Maker together.

Lord, help me hear, know, and respond well to Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment