Buy the book da 'votions from da 'hood by clicking HERE

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fight

As the last of the kids were leaving their Sunday afternoon activities at the church, two of our faithful participants started a full-on fist fight blocking the exit door.

It was not an even match. One kid was a short, spindly 8 year old while the other was an 11 year old who looked like a linebacker. We separated the boys and held their adrenaline-filled bodies far enough apart to let the rest of the group exit.

Hoping to invoke the peacemaking skills she'd been teaching in recent lessons, one of our volunteers stood between them and calmly asked, "What would Jesus do?"

The older boy raised his hand and She gently acknowledged him. He replied, "He would tell that little boy to get down on his knees and repent!" Hearing that, the little one dashed out the door and down the street. The other made chase. After hitting each other for a few minutes they were OK with being friends again.

Somewhere in my brain is an image of God calling me to repentance and my immediate, respectful bowing at His throne in submission. The reality of the relationship, though, is a series of me squabbling with Him followed by my running down the street trying to escape.

I'm really glad that in Genesis 32 Jacob's name was changed to Israel and that his descendants, as God's people, were called Israelites. Loosely translated, Israel means "he who wrestles with God." It reminds me that the ones who are willing to really wrestle with Him are the ones who will be called His people.

The One who is bigger than me continues to call me to repentance. When I get tired of running I will cry "Why God Why?" "When God When?" and "You want me to do WHAT?" as we take it to the mat. I know He will win, but the wrestling both wears down my resistance and builds up my strength. Once we do this I'm OK being friends with Him again.

Lord, help me each day to be repentant and not be afraid of being one You would name Israel. Let my struggles with You take me to where I might become more fully Yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment