Buy the book da 'votions from da 'hood by clicking HERE

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Underestimate

To say I was hesitant to teach about finances, especially tithing, in the middle of a neighborhood listed as the 7th highest concentration of poverty in the US was an understatement. I had decided not to do it.

Initially, this was fine. Many "ministers" had scammed people in the area over the years and when I arrived the already established policy at the church was to not ask for money from those who gathered. This was healthy, appropriate, and good.

WAS.

I had a growing conviction that the season for hesitation was over and that I needed to teach people to give. I was not interested in doing so. For over a year I wrestled with God, and argued with my conscience, and all but printed out charts and graphs to justify my mind's decision.

The Spirit's conviction wasn't all that interested in my thoughts and feelings on the subject.

I finally stood before the congregation and told them that I had to confess before them (THAT always gets their attention!). I told them of my wrestling with a topic I needed to teach but didn't want to. I apologized and told them that the day's sermon topic was on money.

At that point, everyone ---- EVERYONE ---- perked up. The group that had gathered that day was riveted as we talked about tithing and first fruits and savings and the responsibilities the come with material positions.

The real shocker for me came the next Sunday. After that service I opened the little offering box and it had more than just a few dollars in it. It was no where near our expenses for the week but it was a seven-fold increase over the previous week.

I didn't know how to feel: Happy that people had responded? Guilty wondering if it was more than people could afford? Humbled at the sacrifice? Encouraged by the sense of ownership people displayed? Thankful for the bounty? The Spirit said, "Peace."

The Sunday after that, the amount given doubled again. Two families in the congregation privately told me that they had committed themselves to tithe.

Now, I'm not a prosperity preacher; I don't believe that that size of your faith determines the size of your Cadillac. But whenever we step out in faith the Spirit blesses us in wonderful and mysterious ways. And within two months of those families having followed the Spirit's conviction and faithfully committed to tithing, each had been given a car. These gifts were unsolicited, didn't come from people in church, and were complete surprises.

And I didn't know how to feel then, either. I think the reason for that is the same reason I wrestled with teaching about money in the first place.

That reason is my tendency to underestimate God. It comes out of my own foolishness and faithlessness. We read in Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD." NIV Because His ways are (thankfully!) so different from mine I can't predict what He will do or how He will do it.

I guess that's where faith comes in. It took faith from a variety of people to let this story come to light. Faith to follow the Spirit to teach an uncomfortable subject. Faith to tithe. Faith to recognize the source of the blessing. Faith to watch for the Spirit's movement despite underestimating what He will do.

Lord, as I journey with You help me to look beyond what I can see, trusting in Your ways and never underestimating what You might do.

No comments:

Post a Comment