Buy the book da 'votions from da 'hood by clicking HERE

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Need

As people were gathering before the Sunday morning service, a woman who lived across the street from the church whipped open the door and ran across the back of the room at full speed. One second later she dashed back out of the building, plunger in hand.

Just a few minutes later and still in time for church, she returned at a more relaxed pace and put the plunger back in the women's restroom. To those of us still chuckling and with inquisitive looks on our faces, she announced, "I thought I was headed for a disaster. But then I remembered that what I needed was here in the church."

When we think we're headed for disaster do we remember that what we really need is in the Church? No, the church can't immediately solve all of our problems for us. But when the Church is alive, in it are encouragement, wisdom, truth, support, correction, help, comfort, healing and strength. In it is the reminder that we are not alone, both because of the presence of his Spirit and the presence of His people. In it our impending disasters are not measured by the world's standards but by the power God gives us to endure, to overcome, and to become more than conquerors.

Can the Church become known in the world as the place that, when disaster seems imminent, people can find what they really need?

Joy. Hope. Love. Peace. Community.

And, occasionally, a plunger.

Lord, help me to truly be a part of the Church. Help me bring what is truly needed into the lives of all those I encounter this day.

2 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! I wish you had time to write everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks for sharing--and I might "borrow" it sometime.

    ReplyDelete