Buy the book da 'votions from da 'hood by clicking HERE

Monday, March 29, 2010

Answer

She had been coming to church for only a few months and everything was new and exciting. She was five years old and had never heard any of the Bible stories we were sharing each Sunday afternoon.

She came all four weeks of the Advent season and was shocked, amazed, and delighted to learn that Christmas was Jesus' Birthday. For four weeks in a row our themes, lessons, and crafts all shouted the message, "Christmas is Jesus' Birthday!"

So on the first Sunday after Christmas her hand was the first one in the air when I asked about why we celebrate Christmas. With a giant smile and total delight from knowing the right answer, she called out,

"PRESENTS!"

Everyone on staff sank just a little bit as I redirected the conversation to get the name "Jesus" to somehow be affiliated with the celebration of Christmas. Maybe next year she'll get it right.

Though I was truly disappointed that she didn't get the right answer, her honesty was refreshing. So often I'm smart enough to give the right answers to questions at church. They aren't, though, always quite as honest.

Some of the right answers I know include:

-Easter is all about Jesus' resurrection.
-I need to be patient and wait upon the Lord.
-With God all things are possible.
-All things work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to His purposes.

I give these and other "right" answers for several reasons. First, the bright side of me knows they are correct and I answer in hopes of building my faith a bit. The darker side of me, though, knows that most other people at church already know the "right" answer and I don't want to look even more foolish or shallow than I normally do. In addition, I don't need yet another person to talk down to me to teach me the "right" answer that I already know anyway.

Maybe it would be good if I sometimes said out loud that some years Easter is more about a couple days off with the family than an empty tomb, that I get tired of waiting on the Lord and occasionally plan a hostile takeover, and that I believe the problems in front of me are both completely impossible and cannot in any way be used for good.

If I were more like an eager five-year-old child I would raise my hand and confess these wrong-but-honest answers, inside myself (and maybe even in front of the other kids in my class). Who knows? It might open up an opportunity for God to redirect the conversation to help the right answer be the honest answer. Maybe next year I'll really get it right.

God, help me be more honest with myself and with You. Use this to help me live more fully in your Truth.

1 comment: